Please do not post any link or advertisement on my blog, it will be removed.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dismantle Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000

I realize that my previous post on the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 has attracted quite a lot of attention across the globe. So I know many people wants to know how to dismantle their mouse, be it to clean it, or just to take a look in side.

So here's a sort-of-step-by-step guide.

Disclaimer: you are dismantling your mouse at your own risk, I shall not be held responsible in anyway if your adventure failed.

You will need:
Philips Head screwdriver
Torx Screwdriver

Before we start, remove the battery cover and batteries from your mouse.

[click on the images to get a bigger picture]

1. Pry open the "Laser logo".


2. Unscrewed the screw underneath with a Torx screwdriver, then pull out the middle strip with the "Microsoft" word.
Edit: I found out (the hard way) that the strip was NOT supposed to be pulled out, you have to try shifting it left and right to lift up the buttons, to get to the screws underneath the buttons.


3. Unscrew the 2 screws at the back.


4. Here's probably where many people (including me) got stuck. Lift up the mouse button, there is 2 screws hidden underneath.


5. Unscrew the 2 screws hidden beneath the buttons, and remove the white cover.


6. Remove the "side plates" on the left and right, lifting them from the back.


7. Unscrew the screws on the circuit board, there are 5 in total, circled red in the picture).


8. Lift up the circuit board with the battery holder, starting from the front as shown in picture.
They are held in place by 2 "catch" on each side (red rectangle in picture), this can be a bit tricky, you can try to rock left to right to get it out.


There, done.

27 comments:

  1. Very useful ... I would have broken my mouse without this . Thanks for posting it

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot!, as vn, I would have broken my mouse without this

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll want a size T6 Torx driver for this. Amazon Supply has them for less than $3 a pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for posting this. My daughters mouse was not shutting off and I was able to take it apart without breaking anything. Fixed now. Thanks again!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to find this. The wheel click on mine was getting intermittent, so I took it apart and found so much crap and cat hair in there...now it works great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to find this, especially with the pictures and clear instructions! I had better luck with a T7 Torx by the way - T6 slipped. Trying to get my left click to work more reliably - the underside of the button looks worn, I put some superglue on there to build it back up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, thanks! Three years after you, I got fed up with the gummy rubberized grips on my MS Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. Without your detailed teardown I probably would've given up.

    Instead I was able to remove the side panels. I scrubbed most of the rubber/goo off with a plastic Scotchbrite abrasive cleaning pad and orange-oil stickum remover, then used the other end of the pad with water and some Lava soap to get rid of the last traces. The pad left barely visible scratch marks, nothing to worry about. A little gum was left in the grooves where the sides snap into the base, but after reassembly it's not exposed to touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be trying this tomorrow as my wheel is really tight and rough. thanks for posting.
    About the gummy rubberised grips, I bought my mouse second hand it was very sticky/gummy on the sides. Dusting it with baby powder was an easy and quick fix. Feels nice and smooth again. Hopefully the pull apart/fix goes as smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is my left nouse button that wo't work, is there a fix for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you can't really replace the broken button. Unless, of course, if you manage to find a replacement part and solder the new replacement on.

      Delete
  10. First of all i must thank you for the guide, i did the same as shown in the pictures ,but unluckyly after reassambling my maus is not working at all,,please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm not sure what could have happened, I take my mouse apart quite often to clean and have been not had any issues like yours.

      Delete
  11. Thank you. I had the same problem with the sticky think on the sides

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still super valuable post. Your instructions were dead on. Thanks for paving the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still super valuable post. Your instructions were dead on. Thanks for paving the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this walkthrough. I had the same problem with the sticky sides. But now I have a usable mouse again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yet another thank you! I started trying to spudge mine open when the scroll-wheel kept pressing the 'scroll button.' One thing I've found about M$ cordless mice, is that their scroll wheels seem to be made of some oleophilic silicone, which either swells, or turns to mush over time...
    Quick search, found you, bottom line; total refurb and silicone removal. Works perfect.
    It's obvious that M$ went to great lengths to make it easy to assemble, but a total puzzle box to take apart.
    I'd add more to the DIY/Repair/Re-purpose space myself, but thanks to people like you, my questions are usually answered before I ask them. Thanx again, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yet another thank you! I started trying to spudge mine open when the scroll-wheel kept pressing the 'scroll button.' One thing I've found about M$ cordless mice, is that their scroll wheels seem to be made of some oleophilic silicone, which either swells, or turns to mush over time...
    Quick search, found you, bottom line; total refurb and silicone removal. Works perfect.
    It's obvious that M$ went to great lengths to make it easy to assemble, but a total puzzle box to take apart.
    I'd add more to the DIY/Repair/Re-purpose space myself, but thanks to people like you, my questions are usually answered before I ask them. Thanx again, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. (Duh!) I just read Joe's earlier post, which pretty much summed-up what I said about the rubber much better than I did. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joe, you save my day! Thanks for sharing this useful tip.
    Fernandno

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, saved me time! Needed to get the sticky ex-rubberised side parts out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, saved me time! Needed to get the sticky ex-rubberised side parts out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. After a few years these mouse require a bit of cleaning, this blog is splendid. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the guide. Still really useful in September 2018 :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some batteries sat in my wife's mouse and corroded the contacts. This helped me know how to take it apart without breaking it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete